We put the "mental" in "experimental."
May 8, 2008
~~~ NOTE FROM CHRIS: ~~~
A Belgian writer admitted she made up her
best-selling memoir depicting how, as a
Jewish child, she lived with a pack of
wolves in the woods during the Holocaust.
Misha Defonseca's book, "Misha: A Memoire of
the Holocaust Years," was translated into 18
languages and made into a feature film in France.
The Top 17 Tipoffs a Wartime Memoir Is Fake
- Brags that by the time her landmine-shattered legs grew back, she was three inches taller.
- His girlfriend Rosie might have seemed more real if her last name wasn't "De Riveter."
- "The stern Nazi guard replied, 'I hear nothing! I see nothing! I know nothing!'"
- "Midnight, day 47 of the battle. Pinned down in my foxhole by machine gun fire, the bursting enemy artillery overhead affording me light enough to pen my 'final' letter home. I was convinced I'd never make it out of this hell hole called Grenada."
- The author claims to have "slam dunk" evidence that Iran was supplying weapons to the Nazi's.
- Claims the Iraqis greeted them as liberators!
- The night of the devastating battle, when the author and his trenchmates spent all night pondering, "If this is World War *I*, what the heck are the *sequels* going to be like?"
- Bill Clinton was too young to have banged all of the Andrews Sisters.
- Something makes you think politics may have figured into the plot of "Flagpins of our Fathers."
- Surviving for two months eating human flesh is one thing, but *your own*?!?
- "... and the whole company agreed with what Sgt. Cheney said those commies could do to themselves as we followed him into the mouth of Hell."
- Setting aside the hot threesome for a minute, when did U-boats get saunas?
- "Christmas '68. Our mission: Smuggle CIA operatives across the border. At night. You could cut the tension with a bayonet. No one said a word as the young Texan, Lieutenant George W. Bush expertly guided our swift boat up the Cambodian river...."
- The guards threaten to shoot one prisoner a day until someone tells them who shot JR.
- The climax of the memoir is Sir Lucas Cloudstrider's destruction of Hitler's Death Star.
- It's Herr *Goebbels*, not Herr Gerbils!
and the Number 1 Tipoff a Wartime Memoir Is Fake...
- "Knowing how President Milosevic deals with failure, I feared for my life as I watched my salvos sail just over the First Lady's head."
Our ClubTop5 members get to see the
Runner Up and Honorable Mention items
for today's list, plus much MUCH more.
Selected from 83 submissions from 31 contributors.
Today's Top Five List authors were:
- Carl Knorr, Devo City, OH -- 1, 7 (55th #1) Website / Hall of Famer
- Daniel Weckerly, Limerick, PA -- 2 Hall of Famer
- Brad Osberg, Calgary, Canada -- 3, 5, 14 (Hat trick!)
- Danny Gallagher, McKinney, TX -- 3 Website
- Mark Weiss, Austin, TX -- 4 Hall of Famer
- Mitch Patterson, Atlanta, GA -- 6, 15
- Caryn Kennealy, Glendale, CA -- 6
- Gideon Griebenow, Johannesburg, S. Africa -- 8
- Dave Wesley, Pleasant Hill, CA -- 9 Hall of Famer
- Chuck Smith, Woodbridge, VA -- 10 Hall of Famer
- Mark D. Sabien, What Cheer, IA -- 11 Website / Hall of Famer
- Bill Muse, Seattle, WA -- 12 Hall of Famer
- Jeff Rabinowitz, Wilkes-Barre, PA -- 13
- Lori Petterson, Fairfax, VA -- 16
- Travis Ruetenik, Hiroshima, Japan -- 17
- Richard Skora, Columbus, OH -- Banner Tag
- Chris White, Los Angeles, CA -- List owner/editor Hall of Famer
- Danny Tate, Beaumont, TX -- Ambience (explanation)
© Copyright 1994-2010. All rights reserved.
TopFive.com and The Top 5 List are owned by Chris White.
Absolutely no publishing or reprinting without prior consent.