What does this look like, a Holiday Inn?!
December 2, 1999
~~~ NOTE FOR THE NEWS-IMPAIRED: ~~~
The World Trade Organization (WTO) is convening in Seattle
this week, and their meeting has been met with many protests.
Things got a little out of hand, and Seattle's
mayor had the the National Guard called in.
The Top 14 Things Overheard in Seattle This Week
- "Send a message to those capitalist bastards! Come to Two-for-One Day at Stan's Brick Emporium!"
- "I don't really give a crap -- I'm just warming up for the New Year's Day Y2K riots."
- "Citizens! Disperse and go home, or Brother Gates will be angry!"
- "The Brown & Williamson IPO is bad, people. Do NOT invest in the Brown & Williamson IPO."
- "Gap is crap! Gap is crap! Gap is... Hey, cool chinos!"
- "I was speaking figuratively when I said the WTO should go 'where the sun don't shine.'"
- "Launch the chalupa!"
- "No, Governor Bush, Stone Cold Steve Austin is not the head of the WTO. Guess again."
- "You got tear gas in my mocha latte!"
"You got mocha latte in my tear gas!"
- "I haven't seen this many badly dressed people since Courtney Love's wedding."
- "I'm sorry Mr. Clinton, but the WTO rejects your proposal to 'trade saliva with that Chinese girl'."
- "Ken Griffey sucks! Ken Griffey sucks! Ken Grif--
AAAAGGGHH, MY EYES!!!"
- "Attention, consumers: Put down your weapons NOW -- and visit the fantastic 12-hour curfew sale going on at Old Navy!"
and the Number 1 Thing Overheard in Seattle This Week...
- "Mr. Hoffa, we're prepared to negotiate. Could you meet us at the Kingdome, say, around 2am?"
Check out the Runners Up submissions for this list!
Selected from 129 submissions from 50 contributors.
Today's Top Five List authors were:
- Lisa Lavoie, Waltham, MA -- 1 (4th #1) Email
- Fred Hesby, Portland, OR -- 2 Email / Website
- Jeffrey Anbinder, Ithaca, NY -- 3, Banner Tag Email / Website
- John Voigt, Chicago, IL -- 4, 5 Hall of Famer
- Peg Warner, Exeter, NH -- 6 Email
- David Kass, Queens, NY -- 7, 11, Topic
- Michael Sheinbaum, King of Prussia, PA -- 8 Email / Website
- Rob Wolf, Seattle, WA -- 9 Email
- Jason Anderson, Birmingham, AL -- 10, 14 Email
- Patrick Douglas Crispen, Univ of Alabama -- 10 Email / Website
- Christopher Troise, New York, NY -- 12 Email
- Larry G. Hollister, Concord, CA -- 13 Email / Website / Hall of Famer
- Chris Walker, Calimesa, CA -- 13 Email / Website
- Lev L. Spiro, Los Angeles, CA -- Honorable Mention list na Email / Hall of Famer
- Jeff Rabinowitz, Denver, CO -- Runner Up list name Email
- Tristan Fabriani, Passaic, NJ -- List moderator
- Chris White, New York, NY -- List owner/editor Hall of Famer
- Sly & the Family Stone, San Francisco, CA -- Ambience (explanation)