Let steep for five minutes before reading.
October 11, 1999
~~~ NOTE FROM CHRIS: ~~~
Today's list was compiled from submissions
sent in by our recent contributor finalists.
The Top 15 Unforeseen Side-Effects of the Y2K Bug
- Computer glitch at People Magazine makes Dom DeLuise the "Sexiest Man Alive!"
- No power failures, no mass hysteria, but from January 1st on, everyone's toast is just a little bit burnt.
- "Suddenly Susan" suddenly funny.
- Their computers thwarted, the public library will finally get their 12-year-overdue copy of "Our Bodies, Our Selves" back and I... er, my friend won't have to pay a penny in late fees!
- Several thousand Internet start-ups simultaneously and inexplicably turn a profit.
- World falls under the iron fist of Amish overlords.
- All "2000 Flushes" toilet bowl sanitizers simultaneously detonate, causing a "Blue Butt" epidemic in trailer parks across the US.
- While speaking at a fund-raiser, Al Gore malfunctions and shuts down in mid-sentence.
- Overnight, CompUSA becomes "Crazy Larry's Liquidation Center."
- Strom Thurmond starts to receive free birthday ice-cream cones at Baskin-Robbins.
- "Student Loan? No, I'm pretty sure I paid that in full last month."
- With all the rioting and looting, your reclusive neighbor Chuck can finally roam the streets relatively unnoticed in his halter top and buttless chaps.
- "First-rate Hunter-gatherer" now a key resume bullet.
- President Clinton's January issue of "Hustler" is accidentally sent to ex-president William McKinley.
and the Number 1 Unforeseen Side-Effect of the Y2K Bug...
- McDonald's faces a rash of lawsuits when out-of-work COBOL programmers begin dumping hot coffee into their laps to make ends meet.
Join ClubTop5 and check out the Runners Up submissions for this list!
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Selected from 79 submissions from 28 contributors.
Today's Top Five List authors were:
- Jeremy Shelley, Carroll, IA -- 1 (Woo-Hoo!)
- Schwanda, whereabouts unknown -- 2, 8
- Jeff White, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- 3
- Chris Walker, Calimesa, CA -- 4, 12
- Paul Wiley, whereabouts unknown -- 5
- Aaron Morris, Tracy, CA -- 6
- Jody LaFerriere, Leominster, MA -- 7
- Jamie Wells, Ithaca, NY -- 8
- Steve Cumbie, Fort Worth, TX -- 8
- Dakota Shepard, New Haven, CT -- 8
- Todd Lever, Agawam, MA -- 8
- Mark Spence, Mountain View, CA -- 8
- Bruce McKenzie, Emerald Hills, CA -- 9
- Jim Williams, whereabouts unknown -- 10
- Julie K. Stahlhut, Kalamazoo, MI -- 11
- Malcolm Fleschner, Arlington, VA -- 13
- Laurie Northrup, Clinton, NY -- 14
- Chris Dunn, Louisville, KY -- 15
- Jeffrey Anbinder, Ithaca, NY -- Topic
- Gloria Monti, Hempstead, NY -- Banner Tag
- Tristan Fabriani, Passaic, NJ -- Runner Up list name
- Alan Smithee, Sugar Land, TX -- Honorable Mention name
- Chris White, New York, NY -- List owner/editor Email / Hall of Famer
- Bandof5, Las Vegas, NV -- Ambience