September 13, 2001
The Top 14 Things Overheard
at the MTV Video Music Awards
- "I don't care if he *is* your date, Mr. Jackson -- no children allowed."
- "Why the hell aren't you backstage? The drag queen number goes on in... oops! Sorry, Ms. Aguilera."
- "I've checked three times. There's no 'Celestia' on the guest list."
- "The Martha Quinn Award is given one of the 'elder statesmen' of the music industry. Please welcome this year's honoree... Jewel!"
- The excruciating, never-ending noise of Mariah Carey's sobbing.
- "Suge Knight's not that tough. I ain't afraid of--" [*BLAM!* *BLAM!* *BLAM!*]
- "'Total Request Live' bands, please proceed to Orchestra Seating. 'Behind The Music' groups, follow the stairs to Mezzanine. And 'Where Are They Now?' -- the performers would like their limos vacuumed and detailed before the show is over."
- "The guy from Sherwin Williams is here with Ms. Aguilera's makeup."
- "I don't care if your name is Christopher Walken or Wistifer Calken, the rule is: No Piercings, No Entry. Now pick out an appendage and let's keep this line moving."
- "Because I melt in your mouth, not in your hands."
- "And now, a musical tribute to one of the most influential forces in our industry: the prop-driven charter airplane."
- "Outta the way! Ms. Lopez is backing up!!"
- "Grab a rope and follow me -- we just lost camera two in Britney's cleavage!"
and the Number 1 Thing Overheard at the MTV Video Music Awards...
- "No, you got it all wrong! J-Lo gets the Jell-O from JoJo's, P. Diddy and Nelly get the peanut butter and jelly, TLC get the BLTs from Mickey D's, and Ice T and Ice Cube get the iced teas from KFC."
Join ClubTop5 and check out the Runners Up submissions for this list!
Selected from 112 submissions from 43 contributors.
Today's Top Five List authors were:
- Kim Moser, New York, NY -- 1 (19th #1) Email
- Dave Goudsward, Harrisburg, PA -- 2 Email
- Chuck Smith, Woodbridge, VA -- 3 Email / Hall of Famer
- Andy Ihnatko, Boston, MA -- 4, 8, 13
- Bill Muse, Seattle, WA -- 5 Email / Hall of Famer
- John Gephart IV, Harrisburg, PA -- 6 Email / Website
- Danny Gallagher, Austin, TX -- 7 Email
- John Mozena, Grosse Pointe Woods, MI -- 9
- Kathy Good, Phoenix, AZ -- 10
- Sandra Hull, Arlington, VA -- 11, Honorable Mention list name Email / Website
- Bob Van Voris, New York, NY -- 12, 14
- Tristan Fabriani, Passaic, NJ -- Banner Tag, RU list name Email
- Spike Jones, Atlanta, GA -- Topic
- Chris White, Los Angeles, CA -- List owner/editor Email / Hall of Famer
- Carly Simon, New York, NY -- Ambience (explanation)