Think Globally, Act Schmobally
July 26, 2001
~~~ NOTE FROM CHRIS: ~~~
According to a group of "real" British witches, there's
a glaring mistake in the upcoming "Harry Potter" movie.
Evidently, broomsticks are supposed to be ridden with
the brush part in the front, *not* in the back.
The group's leader, Kevin Carlyon, who has his own
coven, said, "It's a common mistake -- even the
sixties TV series 'Bewitched' showed broomsticks
being ridden backwards, but this is not correct."
Wonder what *other* mistakes are in that movie?
The Top 15 Other Mistakes in the Harry Potter Movie
- Harry is never once shown with owl poop on his shoulder.
- *Way* too much running-in-slow-motion by busty Elven lifeguards.
- What sort of wizard eats his cereal with a fork?
- Sure, he's a big Hollywood star and all, but Arnold Schwarzenegger was hardly the right choice for the title role.
- Cameo by a confetti-throwing Rip Taylor less than magical.
- Pranksters in post-production changed the name on the train to "Dickwarts Express."
- Harry makes things disappear by chucking them out the window.
- At one point, Harry uses an incantation that, in actuality, would cause young men to lose consciousness and awake hours later, naked and disoriented in a Motel 6... or so I've heard.
- No hint that young Harry will grow up to be an evil Sith lord.
- That's *not* a magic wand in Harry's pocket in the scene where he's called up to the blackboard.
- Murderous fire-breathing dragons look suspiciously like goggle-eyed Muppets.
- Nowhere in any actual incantation can you find the word "Nantucket."
- Annoying little dork is depicted as a witch, rather than a Trekkie.
- Every time a character is supposed to say "magic", they're actually saying "magick."
and the Number 1 Other Mistake in the Harry Potter Movie...
- The mistaken impression that anyone over the age of 10 gives a rat's ass.
Join ClubTop5 to check out the
runner up submissions for this list.
Selected from 117 submissions from 43 contributors.
Today's Top Five List authors were:
- Geoff Brown, Ann Arbor, MI -- 1 (3rd #1) Email / Website / Hall of Famer
- Darrell Cress, Seattle, WA -- 2
- Mitch Berg, Saint Paul, MN -- 3 Email / Website
- Ed Smith, Chattanooga, TN -- 4 Hall of Famer
- Ann Bartow, Bartow, FL -- 5
- Carla Brandon, San Diego, CA -- 6 Email
- Doug Finney, Houston, TX -- 7 Email
- George T. MacMillan, Shillington, PA -- 8
- Patrick Major, Dallas, OR -- 9, 13 Email
- Allen Lindsey, Cincinnati, OH -- 10
- Jim Rosenberg, Greensboro, NC -- 11 Email / Hall of Famer
- Peter Rogers, Austin, TX -- 12
- Dave Goudsward, Harrisburg, PA -- 14, Topic Email
- Daniel Weckerly, Limerick, PA -- 15
- Tristan Fabriani, Passaic, NJ -- Banner Tag Email
- Larry Hollister, Concord, CA -- RU list name Email / Website / Hall of Famer
- Dave Wesley, Pleasant Hill, CA -- HM list name Email / Hall of Famer
- Tristan Fabriani, Passaic, NJ -- List moderator
- Chris White, Los Angeles, CA -- List owner/editor Email / Hall of Famer
- Pilot, Edinburgh, Scotland -- Ambience (explanation)
© Copyright 1994-2010. All rights reserved.
TopFive.com and The Top 5 List are owned by Chris White.
Absolutely no publishing or reprinting without prior consent.