May 18, 2000
The Top 17 Big Surprises in CBS' Jesus Mini-Series
- Peter, Paul and Mary were a threesome *long* before the musical group.
- Unknown to his followers, Jesus often flew in First Class.
- Jesus confuses the apostles by claiming, "2000 years from now I'm going to help Kurt Warner lead the Rams to a Super Bowl win!"
- Lazarus brought back to life by chicken soup.
- On the third day after the Crucifixion, Mary Magdalene wakes up to find Jesus in the shower and realizes that it was all just a dream.
- All 12 apostles were played by Baldwin brothers.
- Jesus' two brothers, Felipe and Matty, were actually *better* saviors.
- God is portrayed as a deity who "plays by the book," and Jesus as rebellious renegade who "cuts corners and gets the job done with street smarts."
- The "H"? It stands for "Harvey."
- Brief appearance by Mahir as the excitable Turkish disciple.
- When Jesus stands on a chariot's dashboard, someone comments, "Hey! He looks really good up there!"
- Pontius Pilate plays to the crowd by asking, "Is that your final answer?"
- Instead of turning water in wine, Jesus buys the house a round of Jaegermeister shots.
- Product placement reaches a new low when Pontius Pilate's nephew, Palm Pilate, implores the crowd: "Wash your hands of missed appointments!"
- Samuel L. Jackson stars Jesus' Roman sidekick, Shafticus.
- When the Last Supper check arrives, nobody's all that enthusiastic about picking it up.
and the Number 1 Big Surprise in CBS' "Jesus" Mini-Series...
- To avoid a "TV-MA" rating for excessive violence, Jesus is hung on the cross with duct tape.
Join ClubTop5 and check out the Runners Up submissions for this list!
Selected from 143 submissions from 53 contributors.
Today's Top Five List authors were:
- Curtis Matthews, Kennesaw, GA -- 1 (2nd #1) Email
- Sam Evans, Charleston, SC -- 2 Email / Hall of Famer
- Errol Maturin, Boston, MA -- 3 Email
- Bill Muse, Seattle, WA -- 4, 7, 9 (Hat Trick!) Email / Hall of Famer
- Larry Hollister, Concord, CA -- 4 Email / Website / Hall of Famer
- Steven Bevier, Redwood City, CA -- 5, 9
- Sandra Hull, Arlington, VA -- 6, 13 Email / Website
- Mark Niebuhr, Minneapolis, MN -- 6 Website
- Michael Sheinbaum, King of Prussia, PA -- 6 Email / Website
- Fred Hesby, Portland, OR -- 8 Email / Website
- Peter Bauer, Rochester, NY -- 9
- Jim Rosenberg, Greensboro, NC -- 10, Topic Email / Website / Hall of Famer
- Sue Prifogle Otte, Rushville, IN -- 11 Email
- Jeff Rabinowitz, Denver, CO -- 12 Email
- Don Horton, Sacramento, CA -- 14
- Doug Finney, Houston, TX -- 15, Runner Up list name Email
- Marshal Perlman, Minneapolis, MN -- 16 Email / Website
- JB Leibovitch, Oakland, CA -- 17 Email
- Kevin Freels, Burbank, CA -- Topic Email / Website
- Jeffrey Anbinder, Ithaca, NY -- Banner Tag Email / Website
- Bill Muse, Seattle, WA -- HM list name Email / Hall of Famer
- Chris White, New York, NY -- List owner/editor Email / Hall of Famer
- The Jesus & Mary Chain, Glasgow, Scotland -- Ambience (explanation)